Tuesday, June 14, 2005

"Don't forget to write."

I probably ought to be panicking, but I'm not.

Just a minute ago, I had six months to prepare for this trip, and now there are only about 10 hours to go, and most of them need to be spent sleeping. I haven't packed a thing, I don't even know if everything will fit, and I keep thinking of more stuff that I should bring along.

But it's cool. Everything will be fine.

I spent the day trying to tie up every possible loose end at work. I got a new head shot taken, learned a little about my point-and-shoot digital camera, figured out how to access the blog, had my annual review, finished up the boys' and girls' lacrosse all-stars and said goodbye to the newsroom for a month.

The rest of the day belonged to various members of my family, including and especially my wife Kristen. This will be the first time since we met in the office of the Temple (University) News in January 1999 that we'll be apart for so long. When she goes away, I always have trouble sleeping, so I wonder how much sleep I'll get in the next 30 days. Tonight might be the last good night.

Family has been a big part of the last few days. Since I'll be gone for my birthday (July 9th), Kristen threw me a barbecue on Sunday, so I got to see a lot of them then. It felt like I was going away to college again, because everybody took the opportunity to wish me good luck and give me advice. Everybody's favorite piece belonged to my grandfather, Pop Pop, who shook my hand on the way out the door and said, "Don't forget to write."

So I've been hearing that one over and over again, from Kristen, from Richie and Patrick on the golf course, from my sister and my mom. Richie, just finished his first year at Scranton, was kind enough to add a packing tip: "Forget about doing laundry. Just bring lots of deodorant."

Sage.

Anyway, there's a ton of stuff I have to do, so I'll cut off here. I can be reached via email at seanmc76@gmail.com. The next time I post, I'll be doing it from somewhere other than my living room sofa.

By the way, this is unofficial My America site, guaranteed to reach you -- the public -- untouched by editor hands. If you'd like to see the official version, go to courierpostonline.com and follow the signs for the blogs. The direct address, I believe, is courierpostonline.com/blogs/mccann_america.html

Enjoy. See you tomorrow.
Comments:
I can not take part now in discussion - it is very occupied. I will be free - I will necessarily write that I think.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?