Sunday, June 05, 2005

Not much. You?

I was listening to NPR Saturday afternoon on my way to cover a lacrosse playoff game, when Michael Feldman nearly drove me off the road.

It appears that the Wisconsin-based humorist is planning on kicking off a bus tour the very morning, June 15th, that I'll start mine. I have nothing against bland people pissing themselves over bland jokes accompanied by a tittering piano, but the very same Wednesday morning?! If I'm really lucky, our buses will cross paths and I can write about the deep-seated but unfortunate intersection of liberal-elite NPR and an affinity for lame puns. I'm sure many funny folks -- George Carlin leaps to mind -- believe a generally flaccid sense of humor is one of the factors trashing the credibility of educated America.

How much does it suck to be scooped by "What Do You Know?" A little bit.

Anyway, I got no closer to being ready to leave today, but I figure I could get it all done in two days, with no sleep. I still have nine, if I'm counting correctly. I did go to a party with K and D for my wife's newspaper's youth movement. It was supposed to be some kind of brainstorming session, and we brought D along as our idea of the ideal, informed customer. She and I had a nice conversation about the fool's gold of marketing data -- probably the kind of thing that the bigs wanted to hear -- but the party at large turned out to be more of a networking session. The jazz quartet struck the right vibe, the food was good and it as a nice evening, but I'm not sure the folks got what they were hoping for out of it. I still don't know what young readers want, but if newtorking parties were the answer, newspapers would live forever. D said she was anticipating more of a meeting than a party, with more structure, and I think that might have worked better.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to nail down the photo transmission procedure, since the text problem is pretty much solved, assuming I can find myself some wireless access every couple of days. I still have to buy my ticket, put in for an advance on my expenses, and finish up my all-star material, while making one final dash to get in better shape.

More to come soon.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?