Friday, June 17, 2005

Savannah, Ga.

Standing in line in Fayetteville, I met a woman named Tracey Thompson. She was on her way home, to Savannah, from Philly, and until three years ago, she'd live in Glassboro, N.J., the heart of the C-P coverage area. We had a nice talk, which I'll relate at another time either in print or in a post, but that and a lovely ride to Georgia were the last things to go right for a while.

Savannah is one of America's beautiful cities, without a doubt, but I think it would be even more beautiful with a nice big photo shop on every corner. I looked all over the historic district for a photo processing place, but to no avail. Then I took a $25 taxi ride out to Target at the Savannah mall, and they only had two-day processing. What's more, they did not have the digital camera I needed, the Canon Powershot A95, so I ended up buying a Canon Powershot A520, while doesn't read the type of memory card I have. I should be alright for the rest of the trip, but the Richmond photos are trapped in a memory card I can't read.

I had an interesting conversation with the cab driver which I'll elaborate on in the official blog. Just click on the link.

But Savannah is beautiful, with its Spanish moss everywhere and its old architecture and its riverfront historic district. They should probably call it the histouric district because it's positively choked with horse-drawn carriage-riding tourists, the vast majority of who are complaining about the heat. Hello Georgia in June. Anyway, the whole idea of a tourist district runs counter to my goal for this trip, which is to meet real people in the places they live, but in a place like Savannah, the pull of the tourist destination is so strong that it overwhelms everything else. If I ask Tracey Thompson, or the Johnnie Mae Harrison, the taxi driver, where I should go to meet real folks, they tell me about the riverfront without even thinking about it. It may be the cultural center of the entire state of Georgia, but in my short stay, I haven't been able to separate the historic theme-park Savannah from the real one.

Oh well, I haven't got much time to check out. Sorry this post was so scattered. Check out the main blog for something I hope turns out more focused.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?